Clinical Trial DRUG XL184-308
- A Phase 3, Randomized, Controlled Study of Cabozantinib (XL184) vs Everolimus in Subjects with Metastatic Renal Cell Carcinoma that has Progressed after Prior VEGFR Tyrosine Kinase Inhibitor Therapy
- Principal Investigator
- Benedito Carneiro
- Status: CLOSED
- Study Type: Therapeutic, Treatment
- Protocol No:.DRUG XL184-308
- The purpose of this study is to find out if cabozantinib is effective in treating kidney cancer compared to everolimus. This study will also examine how safe cabozantinib is and how well people with kidney cancer tolerate cabozantinib.
- Cabozantinib is considered an investigational drug for use in kidney cancer because it has not been approved by the US Food and Drug Administration [FDA] for kidney cancer. Everolimus is approved by the FDA and other health authorities worldwide and is commercially available for the treatment of kidney cancer. Cabozantinib is US FDA approved for the treatment of progressive, metastatic medullary thyroid cancer.
Some of the eligibility criteria include:
- Participants must have kidney cancer that includes a clear cell component.
- Participants must have received at least one VEGFR-targeting tyrosine kinase inhibitor (e.g., sorafenib, sunitinib, axitinib, pazopanib or tivozanib).
- Participants must be 18 or older.
- Description of Treatment
- Participants in this study will be assigned to get either cabozantinib or everolimus. Both cabozantinib and everolimus are taken by mouth once a day. Participants may receive study treatment as long as they do not have medically unacceptable side effects from cabozantinib or everolimus, and the study doctor judges the participant's condition to be appropriate for this study.
- Sara Duffey
Clinical Research and Education Specialist
Robert H. Lurie Comprehensive Cancer Center
Find Related Clinical Trials
Browse by Disease Sites
Other Clinical Trials by Benedito Carneiro
- A Phase 1 Study Evaluating the Safety, Pharmacology and Preliminary Activity of the Co-Administration of MM-151 and MM-121 in Heregulin Positive Cancer Patients
- Phase II Study of Nivolumab (anti-PD-1 antibody) for Treatment of Metastatic Adrenocortical Carcinoma
last updated: 30-May-16 07:38 AM
Clinical trial availability changes frequently. Please check this site often for updates or call 312.695.1102 for personal assistance.