Clinical Trial NCI 12Q06
- Targeted eHealth Intervention to Reduce Fear of Recurrence (FoR) Among Cancer Survivors: FoRtitude
- Principal Investigator
- Frank Penedo
- Status: Accepting New Patients
- Study Type: Supportive Care, QOL
- Protocol No:.NCI 12Q06
- The purpose of this study is to create a web-based application titled FoRtitude that teaches breast cancer survivors how to reduce their fear of cancer recurrence.
- If you agree to participate, you will be asked to complete questionnaires online about your moods and emotions when you enroll in the study. You will complete the same questionnaires again one and two months later.
Some of the eligibility criteria include:
- Be a female aged 19 or older
- Have had breast cancer (stage I-III)
- Have completed treatment for breast cancer (current hormonal treatment allowed)
- Own a mobile phone and use it to send and receive text messages
- Have an e-mail account and have access to the internet
- Description of Treatment
- FoRtitude is a web-based application designed to teach breast cancer survivors ways of managing fear of cancer recurrence. Participants will be asked to use FoRtitude daily and asked to log-in no less than 4 times per week for a period of 4 weeks, twice to review educational material and two additional times to use online tools which help apply the educational material. The educational material will be primarily text, video and audio. Each lesson will take 10-15 minutes to complete. Interactive tools will support learning and development of skills to improve the ability to cope. Interactive tools will take 5-10 minutes and participants will be encouraged to use tools daily. Participants may be contacted weekly by a telephone coach for calls lasting about 15 minutes to ask about FoRtitude. The FoRtitude site will continue to be available to participants for a total of 8 weeks. Participants’ name and identity will be kept confidential. For the first phase of the study, the research team will use comments and input from participants to make sure FoRtitude is helpful and easy for cancer survivors to use. For the second phase, the research team will use questionnaire responses to evaluate whether FoRtitude was effective at reducing fears about recurrence.
- Sara Duffey
Clinical Research and Education Specialist
Robert H. Lurie Comprehensive Cancer Center
Find Related Clinical Trials
Browse by Disease Sites
Other Clinical Trials by Frank Penedo
- Improving Quality of Life among Hispanic/Latino Breast, Colorectal & Prostate Cancer Survivors: A Randomized Control Trial of Patient Navigators Using the LIVESTRONG Cancer Navigation Services Program
last updated: 29-May-15 09:12 AM
Clinical trial availability changes frequently. Please check this site often for updates or call 312.695.1102 for personal assistance.