Clinical Trial NCI 12Q03
- Improving Quality of Life among Hispanic/Latino Breast, Colorectal & Prostate Cancer Survivors: A Randomized Control Trial of Patient Navigators Using the LIVESTRONG Cancer Navigation Services Program
- Principal Investigator
- Frank Penedo
- Status: Accepting New Patients
- Study Type: Supportive Care, QOL
- Protocol No:.NCI 12Q03
- The purpose of this study is to compare patient navigation with or without the addition of LIVESTRONG navigation services.
- One of the main objectives of this study is to learn about stress and quality of life of patients while providing them with navigation services. The patient navigator will be accessible to assist with cancer treatment follow-up related needs. The patient navigator may provide assistance with any of the following services: guidance through the health care system; assistance in obtaining resources that may offer financial help; direction to healthcare services for further diagnosis and treatment; identification of local resources and support; keeping track of appointments and help in getting to them; assistance in communicating with doctors and/or nurses; providing additional health care information; and translation/interpretation as needed.
Some of the eligibility criteria include:
- Participants must be men and women, age 18 or older.
- Participants must have completed treatment within the past 15 months for breast, colorectal or prostate cancer.
- Participants cannot have metastatic cancer (cancer that has spread beyond the original location of the disease).
- Participants must be Hispanic/Latino
- Description of Treatment
- Participants in this study will be placed by random assignment (by chance - like flipping a coin) into one of two groups. In one group, the patient navigator will assist participants with their health related needs by calling them on a weekly basis for a period of three months and on a monthly basis thereafter the remainder of the study. This group will also be provided additional assistance in using the Lance Armstrong Foundation’s LIVESTRONG Cancer Navigation Services. The other group will receive patient navigation services as needed (up to six phone calls) in order to seek out information on issues relating to their cancer (diagnosis, treatment, etc.) or any available community services.
- Sara Duffey
Clinical Research and Education Specialist
Robert H. Lurie Comprehensive Cancer Center
Find Related Clinical Trials
Browse by Disease Sites
- Breast: Female
- Breast: Male
- Gastrointestinal: Colon
- Genitourinary: Prostate
- Gastrointestinal: Rectum
last updated: 01-Apr-15 04:15 PM
Clinical trial availability changes frequently. Please check this site often for updates or call 312.695.1102 for personal assistance.