These travel programs provide recipients $750 to help defray the cost of travel and registration fees to a scientific meeting where the awardee will present their research. All award winners are required to present their work at Lurie Cancer Center's Annual Symposium and Poster Session held July 2016. All the programs have the same deadlines, application and selection process. Reviewed by Faculty Committees, the awards are competitive with three application cycles each academic year: November, March and July. July 2016 Award Recipients
- Katten Muchin Rosenman Travel Scholarship Program
For doctoral students and postdoctoral fellows to present the results of their basic cancer research.
- Center for Genetic Medicine Travel Fellowship
For doctoral students and postdoctoral fellows to present the results of their basic cancer research showing its genetics relevance.
- Cancer Prevention and Control Travel Scholarship Program
For doctoral students and postdoctoral fellows to present the results of their laboratory, clinical, population or behavioral research with implications for cancer prevention.
New in 2014-15: Two Katten Muchin Rosenman Travel Scholarships will be selected at the Lurie Cancer Center's Annual Symposium and Poster Session to reimburse presenters for travel. Only posters that have not received a Lurie Cancer Center travel award are eligible. Additional information will be available on the Poster Session registration.
- No awards will be given for past meetings.
- Doctoral students or postdoctoral fellows may receive only one travel award per academic year and a maximum of two awards from any program during the applicant's academic career at Northwestern University.
- If you received a Katten Muchin Rosenman scholarship in the past, you may apply for a Genetic Medicine travel fellowship.
- No more than two applications per lab, each cycle will be accepted. The Principal Investigator (PI) should make a decision which two applications should be submitted for a travel scholarship.
- Only complete applications will be considered. Without exception, applications received after 5:00 p.m. on the deadline day will not be reviewed.
The Review Process
All applications will be evaluated on the following criteria:
- If the presentations are oral or a poster;
- Complete work or work submitted for publications or just published vs. preliminary data;
- The strength of the Principle Investigator's letter of recommendation for applicant;
- If you have recent results not included in the abstract, send them to the Faculty Review Committee as soon as possible. This information will make it easier for them to evaluate the maturity of the work.
The Faculty Review Committees will base their decisions on the quality of the science, the maturity of the work and its importance to the field of cancer or genetics research. The Faculty Review Committee will send their final decisions to each applicant by letter.
- Katten Muchin Rosenman Travel Scholarship and Cancer Prevention and Control Travel Scholarship winners must include the following statement on printed materials: This work is supported in part by a Travel Scholarship from the Robert H. Lurie Comprehensive Cancer Center of Northwestern University.
- CGM Travel Fellowship winners must include the following statement on printed materials: This work is supported in part by a Travel Fellowship Award from the Center for Genetic Medicine of Northwestern University.
Katten Muchin Rosenman Travel Scholarship
Chonghui Cheng, MD, PhD, email@example.com.
Center for Genetic Medicine Travel Fellowship
Elizabeth McNally, MD, PhD, firstname.lastname@example.org
Cancer Prevention & Control Travel Scholarship
Bonnie Spring, PhD, email@example.com.
Questions? Contact Denise Marshall at firstname.lastname@example.org
There are 3 deadlines each year: the November deadline is for conferences in December, January, February and March; the March deadline is for conferences in April, May, June and July; and the July deadline is for conferences that will be held in August, September, October and November. The current deadline is Friday, November 4.
The Application Process
Fill out the online application.
Submit in a single PDF file containing:
- Recommendation from your faculty advison on their stationary
- Written confirmation of acceptance to the meeting
- A copy of your CV
Send to Denise Marshall at email@example.com