Pathology Core Facility
The Lurie Cancer Center's Pathology Core Facility (PCF) is a centralized, comprehensive, core laboratory that provides histology, immunohistochemistry, molecular analysis and extraction, and microscopic evaluation services for human tissue-based studies. It is a College of American Pathologists (CAP) accredited and CLIA certified laboratory with the capability to serve integral marker studies that require biomarker-based treatment arm assignment. The PCF encompasses approximately 7,000 ft2 of mixed use laboratory and office space on the 8th floor of the Olson Pavilion of the Northwestern Memorial Hospital, 710 North Fairbanks Court, Chicago, IL.
In addition to core laboratory services, the PCF performs procurement of fresh biospecimens for clinical trials and biobanking and serves as the Pathology Coordinating Office-Reference Laboratory for the ECOG-ACRIN Cancer Research Group.
Pathology Core Facility Requisition Form and Price List: Researchers who have existing biospecimens and will be bringing them to the PathCore should see pathcore.facilities.northwestern.edu/services for the requisition form and price list. Please complete the form prior to bringing samples and email it to Adekunle Raji, Technical Director at email@example.com. Please include a copy of the form with any biospecimens.
Equipment:Pathological Analysis - Related Equipment
- Automated Nucleic Acid Extractor (Qiagen QIA Symphony)
- Automated Nucleic Acid Retrieval and Storage Unit (SmaRTStore)
- Automated Slide and Cassette Labelers
- Autostainers (Dako [x2] and Leica [x4])
- Cell Counter (Coulter)
- Cell Transfer System (Cytyc ThinPrep)
- Centrifuges (Beckman Coulter [x2], Eppendorf [x4])
- Cryostats (Leica [x2])
- Digital Pathology Imaging System (Collibio)
- Freezers (-20C) for short term storage for reagents and antibodies
- Microscopes (light [x3], fluorescent [x1], multi-headed [x1])
- Microtomes (Leica automated [x3] Leica rotary [x1] Microm rotary [x1])
- Refrigerators (-4C) for IHC, FISH, ISH, and DNA reagents (n=2)
- Tissue microarrayers (Leica [x1] and Veridiam [x1])
- Tissue processors (Leica [x1] and Sakura [x1])
- Routine Histology embedding, sectioning and staining
- In situ hybridization including FISH and CISH
- Morphologic evaluation and immunostaining scoring
- Digital imaging analysis
- Tissue microarray (TMA)
- Blood component isolation
- Laser Capture Microdissection (LCM)
- DNA/RNA extraction
- Cell monolayer generation
- Circulating tumor cells
- Custom histology and IHC services
- Specimen Procurement, Processing and Distribution
The Pathology Core Facility is located on the 8th floor of the Olson Pavillion, 710 North Fairbanks Court, Room 8-419, Chicago Campus.
Stephen Rohan, MD
Demirkan Gursel, PhD
Associate Director of Cooperative Studies Director:
Ephie Bakou, M.B.A.