Lurie Cancer Center OncoSET Symposium
Doctors from the Lurie Cancer Center and across Northwestern Medicine joined keynote speaker Warren Kibbe at the inaugural OncoSET Symposium. (From left: Warren Kibbe, Amir Behdad, Massimo Cristofanilli, Leonidas Platanias, Margo Shoup, Dean Tsarwhas and Christopher George)
On Friday, April 28, 2017, the Robert H. Lurie Comprehensive Cancer Center of Northwestern University hosted its inaugural OncoSET Symposium: Emerging Approaches to Precision Medicine. The symposium provided healthcare professionals with cutting-edge information on significant advances in precision medicine and the evolving standard of personalized cancer care.
More than 250 participants and expert faculty from across the country were welcomed by Conference Chairs, Leonidas Platanias, MD, PhD, Director of the Lurie Cancer Center, and Massimo Cristofanilli, MD, Associate Director for Translational Research and Precision Medicine, who elaborated on the OncoSET model for precision medicine in oncology. Throughout the day, attendees learned about emerging tools and technologies used to generate large-scale genomic data and how to apply the knowledge to guide treatment choices for patients with advanced or refractory cancers.
Warren Kibbe, PhD, director of the Center for Biomedical Informatics and Information Technology (CBIT), Chief Information Officer and Acting Deputy Director at the National Cancer Center Institute (NCI), gave the keynote speech, "Precision Medicine in the Age of NCI MATCH and the Beau Biden Cancer Moonshot."
“Genomics is the beginning of precision medicine, not the end,” Kibbe said. “Biology and Medicine are now data-intensive enterprises. Technology, data, computing and IT are pervasive in the lab, the clinic, in the home and across the population.”
The OncoSET Symposium’s moderators and presenters included:
- Amir Behdad, MD – Lurie Cancer Center
- Massimo Cristofanilli, MD – Lurie Cancer Center
- Luis Alberto Diaz – Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center
- Christopher George, MD – Northwestern Medicine
- Douglas Johnson, MD – Vanderbilt-Ingram Cancer Center
- Warren Kibbe, PhD – National Cancer Institute
- Mia Levy, MD, PhD -- Vanderbilt-Ingram Cancer Center
- Huiping Liu, MD, PhD – Lurie Cancer Center
- Leonidas Platanias, MD, PhD – Lurie Cancer Center
- David Solit, MD – Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center
- Jeffrey Sosman, MD – Lurie Cancer Center
- Wendy Stock, MD – University of Chicago Medicine
- Dean Tsarwhas, MD – Northwestern Medicine
- Xinkung Wang, PhD – Northwestern University
Learn more about Lurie Cancer Center OncoSET program.Back to top